Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Proactive: A Hard Habit to Make

It has been more than 2 months since I last wrote anything in my blog.  I have been extremely busy and forgot to do what I enjoy. Writing.  But during the time that I haven't been blogging, I got a chance to read great stuffs that was shared to me by my Dad. He shared the "Seven Habits of Highly Effective People" by Stephen Covey. The book highlights 3 important parts, the first 3 habits are connected within us, the next 3 habits are connected to things around us and the last is a habit to keep everything sharp. It is an overall approach to self awareness and improvement.


But in this blog, I want to focus to the first habit.  Being proactive doesn't necessarily mean that you tend to be always active.  It means that you need to create a desired outcome with things that you have control with.  An example is if you want to be happy, focus on things that you can control, like setting a positive mindset, lessen negativity, avoid stress and don't mind things that you can't control that may influence your desire result to be happy, like the weather, other people saying negative things, unfortunate events.

I only had a chance to read parts of the actual book and reviews.  I will try to get the actual book when I get paid by the end of the month.  But I will still share my thoughts from what I read.

Part of what I understood was that a certain result won't really happen if it won't start within.  All of us knew that but not all knew where to start.  Because even me before started to complain a lot about things and situations that I have no influence.  For example, state corruption.  I remember waking up and decided to have a great day ahead, as most of us hope for.  So I started making my coffee while watching the news.  Then it happened, while I am relaxing, since it was my day off and no plans of feeling bad, hearing and watching the news changed my mood.  Well, it was my fault, I could have changed the TV channel to something light or I could have done something else.  Or better, had control of my mind or emotions that, yeah that the news is somewhat connected to my life but I have no control over it.

My point is, for us to achieve the results we want is to act on things that we control, rather that minding things that we don't have control with.  It is easier said than done, but it surely worked.

A few days ago I received a bad news about my colleagues at work.  What ever happened to them, I personally did not have any control.  I made myself understand that there are things around me that I don't have influence and the bad news turned out to be just a news without the bad feeling.  I focused to the thing I have control with which is my emotion.  I did not let the news get to me, even if it really bothered my mind for some time, but it helped me focus to do things that are important.

It is more of accepting things in a positive way because if you will understand that to avoid failure is to focus your energy to things you have control and influence, you will effectively get what you need.

Note: This Blog is not intended to promote Stephen Covey and his works.

No comments:

Post a Comment